Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Life and a Bit of Poker

Oh hi all. I hope this post finds you happy and healthy. Poker hasn't been a huge focus in my life lately but the itch and the motivation to get going is creeping up. Maybe it's the fall feel in the air, which usually means it's time to close the lemonade stand and get ready for cyclocross and poker. What a great time of year! I put in a small session of tournaments last Sunday (the 11th) but didn't over do it since I was feeling under the weather and as sharp as a rubber band. I cashed in one of the few tournaments I played in but was in the red overall for the day. Not overly surprising considering I should have stayed in couch mode. I more or less felt like garbage that had been ripped apart by a raccoon the following week, but powered through the work week despite my best judgement which told me to take it easy for a couple days. On Thursday evening I was feeling a bit perkier with nothing much on the slate, so I entered a few MTTs. I also put in a big MTT session on Sunday and had a lot of fun. Here are some notable results from those sessions:

15 Sep [$109 Turbo]  5th/199 = $1,149
15 Sep [$55 Nightly 30K]  2nd/708 = $3,231
18 Sep [$55 55K Gtd]  3rd/1377 = $6,885
18 Sep [$215 WCOOP 2nd chance] 13th/605 = $1,330

This isn't all gravy since there were many others I didn't cash in, but the results are encouraging as I try and get my game sharp again after a very low volume summer. I don't really like how poker success is generally measured in dollar amounts, but that's the nature of it. Maybe I'll come up with some type of system and call them 'freedom points' or something. That's all money is...it has nothing to do with status, image, or material goods for me. It's just a tool to build freedom. Luckily poker is a fun way to chase this freedom.

I don't know if it's a late 20's thing or just a generational thing, but it seems many of my friends and I are starting to really reflect on our lives, where we've come from, what we've accomplished so far and where we ultimately want to go (which I'm going to ramble about). Basically, why are we doing what we're doing and does it make us happy?  I'm fortunate to be part of a great group of friends who maintain high standards of happiness and think above and beyond the norm. We're taking a hard look at life in general, what gives us happiness and meaning, how to rid our lives of toxic people, environments, and behavior. How to surround ourselves with positive people who genuinely care. People with a good perspective on what really matters in life. Not making room for people who are nice to you one day, and throw you under the bus the next. People who are willing to live simply so others can simply live. Ultimately, isn't this what we should all be striving for? What's stopping so many of us? It's almost like society has scared people out of being happy. So many are conned into thinking that "sucking it up" and going to a job that makes good money even though it slowly rots you, for example, is how you gain respect and become successful. "That's life" people often say when you appear unhappy with things. Did it really take me till I'm 27 to realize this doesn't have to be life? I don't measure success by these factors, nor is this how people gain my respect. Success should be measured by happiness. It should be measured by the good that you do. The love that you're able give and the compassion you're able to show. By having the courage to do what you love or chase a dream. Not by your ability to earn the most money or show authority over people. Many strive towards big incomes and fancy job titles at the expense of their health and happiness, but they still take comfort that society in general will view them as successful. If you don't have your health (mental and physical), absolutely everything in your life loses meaning. It seems that the people who live passionately usually have a knack for making things fall into place, and are generally happier and healthier for it.  

I've come across this saying a few times over the years (as I'm sure many of you have) but it never really hit home with me until recently. I don't think it means much until you've actually reached that time in your life. Maybe it's a bit cliche, but I think it carries some weight.



"There comes a time in your life when u can walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad and focus on the good. So love the  people who treat you right and forget the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is part of life, getting back up is part of living."

So why don't we simplify our lives and get back to the basics. Have fun. Laugh. Let's get back to building the foundations of our relationships on trust, respect, love, and good old fashioned fun. Not on money, convenience, status, or image.  Let's drop the labels. Forget about your image and be yourself. At the end of the day, we're all just killing time on earth until our time runs out. So let's make the best of it, and give it some meaning while we have the chance. Get your soul back if somebody has stolen it, don't settle, and don't let other people get you down. Forget the people who cause you stress, and focus on the ones who make you smile. Stand up for yourself and what you believe in without caring what people think. Chase a dream, be passionate, and be happy. I think true happiness should be a lifestyle. I'm trying to take the steps to get there. Hopefully you'll join me.

Till next time
Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment